NOTE: This page is updated (1) time yearly to ensure the highest level of accuracy. The laws listed below were last updated on November 4th 2013.
Below we have separated stun gun laws into 4 different main categories. These categories are: prohibited states/cities/counties, frequently asked questions, traveling with stun guns and state statutes for ALL states. Please make sure to read each section carefully as it is important to understand as many laws as you possibly can regarding stun guns.
** NOTICE ** – Even if your state is on the prohibited list, it doesn’t necessary mean that you can’t own a stun gun within a particular state. Stun gun retailers and manufacturers cannot ship to prohibited states, but we have found that nearly 100% of self defense product retailers are willing to ship to you if you can provide an alternate address. Most retailers are willing to ship your order to a friend or family member at an alternate address and then your friend/family can relay the package to you.
Prohibited States/Counties/Cities for Stun Guns
The following STATES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:
- Illinois – LEGAL but has restrictions – Illinois Stun Gun Laws
- Michigan – Stun Guns are prohibited. Only devices that contain an identification and tracking system that dispenses coded material when the device is used are allowed. TASER devices are the only ones currently legal.
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- District of Columbia
The following CITIES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:
- Annapolis, MD
- Baltimore, MD
- Chicago, IL
- Philadelpia, PA
The following COUNTIES are ILLEGAL to own or possess a stun gun:
- Baltimore County, MD
- Crawford County, IA
Frequently Asked Stun Gun Questions
Q: Are stun guns legal to own?
A: YES, this is has been a common misunderstanding for many years. It is 100% legal to own a stun gun for civilian self defense as long as you’re not a minor, no felony record and intend to use it ONLY for self defense.
Q: For it to be legal to carry a stun gun, does it have to be concealed?
A: This will all depend on your state/city/county that you live in. Since there are so many different laws for different states, we recommend that you contact your local law enforcement office for any details that they can offer on the topic. For MOST states, the stun gun does not have to be concealed.
Q: Am I allowed to keep a stun gun in my car or purse?
A: Different regions have different regulations and laws. For almost all states, this is perfectly legal and not a problem. If you want the most precise answer for the city that you live in, we recommend contacting your local law enforcement office for details. 99% of the time we have found that it’s perfectly legal to keep a stun gun in your car or purse as long as stun guns are legal in your state.
Traveling with a stun gun
This will depend on where you are going and how you plan to carry the stun gun. According to the Transportation Security Administration, stun guns and personal self-defense sprays are allowed to be in checked baggage with restrictions. Stun guns are prohibited though from bringing them in carry-on baggage. If you would like more information regarding stun gun traveling laws, please visit the following link: http://www.tsa.gov/
It is important to understand that while it may be 100% legal to own and possess a stun gun within your state, it may not be legal to possess in a state you are driving to, even if it is concealed. Before traveling you should check the laws for each state even if you are just passing through one state to get to another.
Specific Stun Gun & Taser Statutes Per State (A-Z)
Alabama Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
Stun guns are not allowed to be possessed on School property including storage in a vehicle on school property.
Alaska Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
No restrictions in Alaska state law concerning stun guns or tasers.
American Samoa Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
No restrictions in American Samoan state law concerning stun guns or tasers.
Arizona Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
Section 13-3117 Remote Stun Guns; Sales Records; Use; Classification; Definitions
A. It is unlawful for a person or entity to do any of the following:
1. Sell an authorized remote stun gun without keeping an accurate sales record as to the identity of the purchaser with the manufacturer of the authorized remote stun gun. The identification that is required by this paragraph shall be verified with a government issued identification. This requirement does not apply to secondary sales.
2. Knowingly use or threaten to use a remote stun gun or an authorized remote stun gun against a law enforcement officer who is engaged in the performance of the officer’s official duties.
B. This section does not:
1. Preclude the prosecution of any person for the use of a remote stun gun or an authorized remote stun gun during the commission of any criminal offense.
2. Preclude any justification defense under chapter 4 of this title.
C. The regulation of remote stun guns and authorized remote stun guns is a matter of statewide concern.
D. A violation of:
1. Subsection A, paragraph 1 is a petty offense.
2. Subsection A, paragraph 2 is a class 4 felony.
E. For the purposes of this section:
1.”Authorized remote stun gun” means a remote stun gun that has all of the following:
(a) An electrical discharge that is less than one hundred thousand volts and less than nine joules of energy per pulse.
(b) A serial or identification number on all projectiles that are discharged from the remote stun gun.
(c) An identification and tracking system that, on deployment of remote electrodes, disperses coded material that is traceable to the purchaser through records that are kept by the manufacturer on all remote stun guns and all individual cartridges sold.
(d) A training program that is offered by the manufacturer.
2. “Remote stun gun” means an electronic device that emits an electrical charge and that is designed and primarily employed to incapacitate a person or animal either through contact with electrodes on the device itself or remotely through wired probes that are attached to the device or through a spark, plasma, ionization or other conductive means emitting from the device.
Arkansas Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
No restrictions in Arkansas State law for stun guns or tasers.
California Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
5 CCR § 100015
Stun guns and TASERS are not permitted on the property of any state universities.
PC Part 1 Title 7 Chpt. 7 – Part 171b
Illegal to have stun guns within any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public.
Upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive.
Colorado Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
No restrictions in Colorado State law for stun guns or tasers.
Connecticut Stun Gun & Taser Laws / Statutes:
Title 53 Chapter 943 Sec. 53-206.
Legal for Home/Business use, carrying is prohibited.
Title 29 Chapter 529 Sec. 29-39
It is Illegal to have an electronic defense weapon in a vehicle.